The ancestral home of Richard Doggett in Groton, Suffolk, a Grade II listed historical property, stands about one-fourth mile north of St. Bartholomew's Church. The rectory or "personage" belonging to the church stood between the church building and the Doggett house. Because of extensive remodelling in the late eighteenth century, it does not have its original Tudor exterior, but certain interior features, including an extensively carved wooden ceiling that has been described as "exceedingly grand," are still visible. (Photo courtesy Susan Cooper.)
The home was originally constructed by persons unknown about 1450 on land belonging to the Abbey of St. Edmundsbury in nearby Bury St. Edmunds. It consisted of two separate buildings. Richard Doggett seems to have acquired the land and buildings from the Abbey at some later date and the first references to him in Groton are dated in 1520. The deed by which he acquired the property is not in existence, but his ownership was a freehold and not a feudal tenancy.
New 26 Dec 2005
© 2005 James D. Doggett